Porsche Boxster Virgin

Porschevirgin1968

Just now, ½cwt said:

But you can fairly easily retrofit cruise and if basic a/c is OK for you, it is potentially a bargain entry to 987 ownership.  Don't be sucked in by the titanium silver side intake grilles, it is a 2.7 not an S.

You can retrofit it for sure.  But the point here is it’s listed in the ad, along with an imaginary dual zone climate control, xenon headlights, multi function steering wheel.  It’s also got both 18 and 16 inch wheels.  There’s more incorrect details in the ad than correct ones and whilst it might be an ok car the ad suggests to me that at best the seller is “casual” in their approach.  Rings alarm bells for me 

4 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Love your enthusiasm. I do hope you are going in eyes open and have a few quid in the bank should things not go to plan? Hopefully, you won’t need it but these cars can bite with bills, particularly if you and spanner’s are not good friends. 

Given the range of cars you have called up, if I were in your position, I would be sending a deposit to the owner of the well maintaied black 987 in Scotland and planning the twistiest possible route home whilst away on holiday. 

I'm no mechanic, however I am not scared to get stuck in, I do have a mechanic who used to look after my Z4 3 litre. So am pretty confident. 

3 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

I'm no mechanic, however I am not scared to get stuck in, I do have a mechanic who used to look after my Z4 3 litre. So am pretty confident. 

That’s good - get him to look at the car you want? 

5 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Is cruise plug and play on the newer models? 

Newer models ?

on a 987 cruise retrofit is a stalk, a wiring loom and a different lower steering wheel cowl and some screws.  There is a kit, it’s on back order.  That’s what I linked to on design 911.  It would be cheaper from OPC.  People often buy the stalk and loom from the US 2nd hand.  It was a standard fit on the US models, and take a Dremel to the cowling if they can’t source new.  

easy enough diy to fit - requires the steering wheel removal to do it “by the book” as far as I remember. 

The car needs to then be coded to recognise the new kit.  It seems that to get it fully working then it needs to be done with a Porsche piwis, so dealer, good Indy or enthusiast with the kit. 

so easy enough to fit and 5 mins to code if you have the kit but plug and play?  No.  

13 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Newer models ?

on a 987 cruise retrofit is a stalk, a wiring loom and a different lower steering wheel cowl and some screws.  There is a kit, it’s on back order.  That’s what I linked to on design 911.  It would be cheaper from OPC.  People often buy the stalk and loom from the US 2nd hand.  It was a standard fit on the US models, and take a Dremel to the cowling if they can’t source new.  

easy enough diy to fit - requires the steering wheel removal to do it “by the book” as far as I remember. 

The car needs to then be coded to recognise the new kit.  It seems that to get it fully working then it needs to be done with a Porsche piwis, so dealer, good Indy or enthusiast with the kit. 

so easy enough to fit and 5 mins to code if you have the kit but plug and play?  No.  

Good to know, I find it a bit strange it's not plug and play, I fitted cruise to my Z4 03, all extras are pre installed at factory so it was plug and play. Guess Porsche want your cash for every nut and bolt. 

Bodywork needs attention.

Airbag light looked to remain on.

Also I think there was a convertible top position error on the dash and a little judder as the roof stowed.

Edited by iborguk

35 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Bodywork needs attention.

Airbag light looked to remain on.

Also I think there was a convertible top position error on the dash and a little judder as the roof stowed.

Saved me a journey, no service in last 4 years and 24k miles. He will knock money off though to cover service. Lol.