Porsche Boxster Virgin

Porschevirgin1968

2 hours ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

It’s been for sale for a while that one. Nice looking car. I can remember it as it’s the spec I wanted before I was seduced by the blue with gray interior I now have. The law of sod dictating that if you change your search, the exact car comes at the wrong time!

two important questions, how long have you had it and why are selling? 

6 minutes ago, TV8 said:

It’s been for sale for a while that one. Nice looking car. I can remember it as it’s the spec I wanted before I was seduced by the blue with gray interior I now have. The law of sod dictating that if you change your search, the exact car comes at the wrong time!

two important questions, how long have you had it and why are selling? 

How long has it been up. For sale do you think? 

3 hours ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Not expensive then 

You see brake lines mentioned on a lot of 986/996 (most?) unless they’ve been done. I don’t think they’re expensive to do if needed. 
The suspension stuff can be done reasonably too.

As I said previously, the perfect car probably doesn’t exist, an an MOT with no advice would ring more alarm bells to me than one with some fairly simple things pointed out but each to their own I guess.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gunscrossed said:

You see brake lines mentioned on a lot of 986/996 (most?) unless they’ve been done. I don’t think they’re expensive to do if needed. 
The suspension stuff can be done reasonably too.

As I said previously, the perfect car probably doesn’t exist, an an MOT with no advice would ring more alarm bells to me than one with some fairly simple things pointed out but each to their own I guess.

It drove well and sounded good, with short shift gearbox, would need front tyres as walls were starting to crack slightly. 

I'm starting to lose track of which ones you've seen and which are prospective purchases :)

On the plus side, do you think you are getting a better gauge on what cars are decent and those that are a bit ropey? There is such a large variation and peoples descriptions rarely match the actual car.

You can't have seen "the one" yet - or you have a lot more will power than i do

What are your top 3 on the list?

2 hours ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

How long has it been up. For sale do you think? 

Losing track of time this summer. I got mine in Mid-June so a week or two after that. I doesn't show number plates from memory but if its in Sittingbourne, it was up for £10k initially. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

I'm starting to lose track of which ones you've seen and which are prospective purchases :)

On the plus side, do you think you are getting a better gauge on what cars are decent and those that are a bit ropey? There is such a large variation and peoples descriptions rarely match the actual car.

You can't have seen "the one" yet - or you have a lot more will power than i do

What are your top 3 on the list?

Boxster S 2003 onwards. After reading the horror stories I just want a good service record, manual or tiptronic, having said that I did enjoy the manual short shift box, I would like cruise if possible although it's not a game changer as it can be retrofitted. Air con that works hopefully. I am very nervous about buying private, unless it was someone off here recommended. The one I saw in Nottingham is the best I've driven, had advisories but Gunscrossed said they are not major advisories. So to 3 are S, 2003 onwards, paint has to be reasonable condition, one I viewed Sunday had cracked lacquer on front and rear bumpers. 

This weekend I was chatting the Porsche indy I use, for parts supply mostly as he generally gets stuff cheaper than I can, and I remarked on the number of Boxsters he had in the workshop.

He said that people are buying them for around £6-£8k then finding they are needing brake lines and suspension even though the cars have "full service history" and look nice and shiny.

He also mentioned that in addition to the suspension and brake lines, brake discs, RMS, clutch AOS, tyres and exhausts were common. Good business for him.

This was pretty much my experience when looking, 986's are all old cars now and a lot of them, mine included, sat during Buttercup lockdown doing nothing which is why servicing got forgotten.

My priorities were:

No rust - I'm not keen on welding, I've owned Alfa Romeos.
2.7l without too many miles 
Manual gearbox
Working roof

Any service history on a car this old is generally sketchy at best and I'm not bothered about AC, fancy stereo systems or trim levels. I ended up with probably the most basic Boxster ever to leave the factory.

From the start I knew that I'd be getting the spanners out, if you think like this you won't be disappointed when you view a car. Dealers descriptions are usually a work of fiction and most of the eBay/Autotrader cars are being sold off concrete plots with a Portacabin and overgrown Buddleia in the corner by dealers hoping to cash in on the summer market for convertibles, they generally have no knowledge, or interest in Porsches.

My advice would be to set your maximum price, budget £2k for work regardless of how much the car costs unless there is proper documented, as well as visible proof, of the work having been done recently. Buy the car that "feels right" to you. Then fix it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

These are the 2 I have narrowed it down to. Driven the silver one. The grey one has a deposit from a woman but she was supposed to rock up Monday to purchase car, as yet she has not appeared. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306158571976?sort=price-desc&make=Porsche&model=Boxster&postcode=CA6 4EU&price-to=9000&radius=200&year-to=2023&advertising-location=at_cars&fromsra

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202307270126639?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars

1 minute ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Wow, is that yours? My budget will not stretch that far sadly. 

Afraid not - just saw it online and thought it looked nice 

We like to spend other peoples money on here - man maths is the name of the game :)

• Haha 1

sorry @Porschevirgin1968 - this was the one i meant to send you - not the dodgy red one

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/15176041

The main problem with the 05 plate one is the mileage discrepancy that @TV8 highlighted in the MOT history - could make selling on later a bit more awkward

Edited by Mattman42