Purchase from Auction site

Porschevirgin1968

Afternoon all, I am potentially taking the plunge and about to puurchase my 987S from a well known auction site privately, I have paid for an online check with car vertical what other checks can I do to make sure the deal is legit, I've seen a V5, however it's still for the private plate on it, the check said the plates were transferred back on 7.11.23. Should I wait until new V5 is in his possession? I know all the basic checks once I get to the car, ie tyre age, damp behind carpet on passenger side so on and so forth. Check for oil leaks, it's had new tyres, brakes pipes, coolant pipes all replaced. I'm thinking more background checks. TIA

52 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Afternoon all, I am potentially taking the plunge and about to puurchase my 987S from a well known auction site privately, I have paid for an online check with car vertical what other checks can I do to make sure the deal is legit, I've seen a V5, however it's still for the private plate on it, the check said the plates were transferred back on 7.11.23. Should I wait until new V5 is in his possession? I know all the basic checks once I get to the car, ie tyre age, damp behind carpet on passenger side so on and so forth. Check for oil leaks, it's had new tyres, brakes pipes, coolant pipes all replaced. I'm thinking more background checks. TIA

Verify V5 info by asking for chassis number as well as reg no.

• Thanks 1

presume car vertical is basically an HPI check and check its not stolen, no finance, MOT mileage stacks up etc etc

I think you need the new V5 if in the middle of a plate release to Tax ? And the address should match really to where the car/owner is
V5 will have a watermark - 
Car cloning - what it is and how to avoid being scammed | AA (theaa.com)

I'd add check paint and door gaps - look for any overspray

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dubdubz said:

presume car vertical is basically an HPI check and check its not stolen, no finance, MOT mileage stacks up etc etc

I think you need the new V5 if in the middle of a plate release to Tax ? And the address should match really to where the car/owner is
V5 will have a watermark - 
Car cloning - what it is and how to avoid being scammed | AA (theaa.com)

I'd add check paint and door gaps - look for any overspray

Well the report matches up with the V5 I saw with old private plate on it, report confirms number plate was changed 3 days ago to original registration that's on the car now. It's the correct address for the car on the old V5, they might have the new V5 by Saturday when I go view the car.  🤞

You need the V5 in the new plate otherwise it will be a pain to tax, you might not be able to - the new v5 will go back to the present owner and then have to come to you. 

the only way around it is for the seller not to transfer the ownership to you until the new v5 arrives, but let you take the car - but risky and messy for both parties 

The V5 transfer process is quick in my experience and hopefully, the new documentation will arrive before you view. Are you viewing at their home address? If you do end up taking it without the V5 (what is life without a little risk 😀) you might want to ask them not to cancel the tax if they have not already done so and share a picture of the new keepers slip on the new V5 so you can tax whilst the paper work catches up. 

• Like 1

I'm going to Google it all, as the guys wife says it can all be done online now, transfer the owner then twx it online. I'm sure I will find the answer. I'm taking the boss she is red hot at this sort of stuff and used to work for DVLA in the old licensing offices. She worked on Gosforth for any geordies out there, lol. 

55 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

I'm going to Google it all, as the guys wife says it can all be done online now, transfer the owner then twx it online. I'm sure I will find the answer. I'm taking the boss she is red hot at this sort of stuff and used to work for DVLA in the old licensing offices. She worked on Gosforth for any geordies out there, lol. 

It can. Did it the other day. Took minutes to do and new V5 arrived 3 days later 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Anyone use Footman James? 

Years ago, yes, recently no. Their prices went crazy expensive so switched and never went back.

24 minutes ago, MickH said:

I'm just looking forward to the multiple should I buy it threads being replaced with - Why is my car doing this threads 😂

Well, it keeps you all entertained Mick 😏, might have to change my name after tomorrow though lol. Until I actually get the keys and the car on my drive I won't be bragging, this is last chance salon if I'm honest. After tomorrow if I have to walk away the curtains will come down for now. 

7 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Well, it keeps you all entertained Mick 😏, might have to change my name after tomorrow though lol. Until I actually get the keys and the car on my drive I won't be bragging, this is last chance salon if I'm honest. After tomorrow if I have to walk away the curtains will come down for now. 

All the best , hope it works out.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Fingers crossed all goes well and you and wifey will be doing this when you come home in a Boxster :bana:

• Thanks 1

Well, the temperature gauge was sorted, had not been ran after having new coolant and it's now sitting on my drive, needs some TLC but got it for a very good price.  Pics to follow, could not get any last night as it was dark. No issues coming back.  Think my gear changing needs some practice after driving autos for the last 5 years lol. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Well, the temperature gauge was sorted, had not been ran after having new coolant and it's now sitting on my drive, needs some TLC but got it for a very good price.  Pics to follow, could not get any last night as it was dark. No issues coming back.  Think my gear changing needs some practice after driving autos for the last 5 years lol. 

Congratulations. You have had a few false starts during the search and now the fun and reward starts! Enjoy. Also, new coolant and these cars always makes me think has it been bled correctly - hopefully so.